Click here for a Text-Only Version of this site.Skip to Page Content.
MyGW
home   help  
  UNIVERSITY CALENDAR


Choose View ::   WeekDayGo to the Full University Calendar
 





S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31        

Jump to 


All Day
A new exhibition of the Kiev Judaica Collection, "Hebrew Printing in the Orient" presents books and typography across a vast non-western panorama: from the Maghreb to the Far East, from Central Asia to India, and from Southern Africa to the Antipodes.The first such exhibit of this material in nearly 90 years, it traces the introduction of movable type outside of Europe by Jewish exiles from Spain, who established a Hebrew press at Constantinople (Istanbul) in 1493, through the establishment of presses at Salonika in Ottoman Greece (the earliest printing on the territory of Greece) and at Fez in Morocco (the first press on the continent of Africa). Examples of the subsequent spread of Hebrew printing in different parts of the Middle East and Asia are drawn from the holdings of the Kiev Collection. Among the rarities are Hok le-Yisrael (Cairo, 1740), one of the first books ever printed in Egypt, and Zer‘a Yitshak (Tunis, 1768), the first book in any language printed in Tunisia. Included in the display are texts in various languages using the Hebrew alphabet, such as Ladino (Judeo-Spanish), Judeo-Arabic, Judeo-Persian and Yiddish, apart from Hebrew and Aramaic.
This exhibition highlights examples of traditional African art from the GW Permanent Collection, the majority of which was assembled from the gifts of just a handful of donors in the 1970s, with little information accompanying them. Since that time, the study of African art and culture has progressed a great deal with new interpretations, and students and scholars have contributed to the information on the collection's pieces extensively. The discovery of a large Makonde Tree of Life sculpture found in collection prompted us to highlight other African pieces from the collection and conduct more research to build on the information we have. You can follow along with us during the research process on Twitter @BradyGallery with #MakondeToL and on our blog http://foundincollection.blogspot.com/ Now through July 15, 2016 Media and Public Affairs Building 805 21st Street NW First Floor Display Cases, G Street side MPA Building Hours: http://facilities.gwu.edu/general-access-building-hours
12am
The Other 90 Percent: Works from the GW Permanent Collection   ( 10:00 AM Mar 16 - 5:00 PM Jun 3 )
Museums can often only show a fraction of their collections at any time, even with dedicated space. With roughly 10 percent of works on view at once, in many museums the other 90 percent of works stay in storage for years. The George Washington Universitys Permanent Collection is no exception: it has over 4,000 works of art, some of which have never been exhibited. This exhibition highlights the 90 percent: paintings, prints, photographs and sculptures that have not been on view in over 20 years, or have not been seen since they entered the collection. Works in the exhibition include Norman Rockwells Portrait of a Man; Margaretta Peales portrait of Joseph Getchell Binney, D.D., an administrator from the universitys early years; photography from N. Jay Jaffee, Barbara Morgan and Andy Warhol; and drawings by Philip Pearlstein and Manon Cleary, which are part of a beautiful collection of nudes. The exhibition also complements an upcoming exhibition, Expansive Visions: Works from the GW Permanent Collection, opening in the George Washington University Museum and The Textile Museum later in the Spring. The Friends of the Luther W. Brady Art Gallery provided partial funding for the exhibition. The exhibition is free and open to the public. Wednesday, March 16, 2016 - Friday, June 3, 2016 Gallery Hours: Tuesday - Friday, 10:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. For more information: http://www.gwu.edu/~bradyart/brady/exhibitions.html Image: Norman Rockwell, Portrait of a Man (detail), c. 1929, oil on canvas, 34 x 20 inches. Gift of Frank B. Hand, Jr.
Stories of Migration: Contemporary Artists Interpret Diaspora   ( 10:00 AM Apr 16 - 5:00 PM Sep 4 )
In this juried and invitational exhibition, forty-four artists share personal and universal stories of migration—from historic events that scattered communities across continents to today’s accounts of migrants and refugees adapting to a new homeland. Co-organized with Studio Art Quilt Associates (SAQA) and with assistance from GW’s Diaspora Program in the Elliott School of International Affairs. Learn more at museum.gwu.edu/diaspora.
1am
2am
3am
4am
5am
6am
7am
8am
9am
10am
11am
12pm
1pm
2pm
3pm
4pm
5pm



The George Washington University
© 2016, The George Washington University
2121 Eye St, NW; Washington, DC 20052 Phone: (202) 994-GWGW (4949)
Site Maintained by Division of IT | Text-Only